Impressed Current Cathodic Protection (ICCP) Systems
Impressed current cathodic protection systems provide automatic, permanent protection that prevents electrolysis and galvanic corrosion from attacking the submerged surfaces of a broad range of sea-going vessels and fixed or mobile offshore structures.
Our systems are the ultimate state-of-the-art, long-term solution to corrosion problems, and are recognized as a superior alternative to sacrificial anode systems, which require frequent replacement. Impressed current cathodic protection systems are preferred by ship owners because they reduce fuel cost and maintenance.
Our systems work by supplying a controlled amount of DC current to submerged surfaces using highly reliable mixed metal oxide anodes and zinc reference electrodes. This electrical current, constantly monitored and regulated by the system itself to prevent the electrochemical action of galvanic corrosion before it begins.
For more than 25 years, sea-going vessels of every type and size - oil tankers, LNG carriers, cruise ships, pleasure craft, workboats, semi-submersibles, and more - have benefited from the 24-hour protection provided by Impressed current cathodic protection systems against the costly, corrosive effects of electrolysis.
- Increased life of rudders, shafts, struts and propellers as well as any other underwater parts affected by electrolysis
- Anodes are light, sturdy and compact for easy shipping, storage and installation
- Anodes, reference cells and automatic control systems maintain just the right amount of protection for underwater hulls and fittings, unlike standard zinc anodes, which can't adjust to changes in salinity or compensate for extreme paint loss
- Automatic control equipment ensures reliable, simple operation
- Optimum documented corrosion protection at minimum overall cost
- Only one installation required for the life of the vessel or structure
- Increased dry-dock interval
- Approved by all classification societies for all types of vessels
- Designed to provide a 20 plus year service life
- MMO-surfaced anodes
- MMO-surfaced anodes on Tantalum and Niobium and Titanium Substrates are used exclusively in the ICCP system. The Platinum and MMO forms an oxide when electrically energized. ICCP anodes are manufactured in Linear Loop , Elliptical anodes , and Circular shaped with insulating holders. They are available in a single unit capacity up to 225 amperes, as may be needed for various installations.
- Electrocatalytic Products
- Capac System - MMO-surfaced anodes.
- Computer Controllers
- Each standard ICCP system utilizes a solid-state controller which monitors and controls the protection as measured by the Zinc Referance electrode.
Anode current automatically increases when the electrode potential falls below the designated control value. An over- and under-potential alarm is provided with the system package. We also offer optional digital control, state-of-the-art technology with every system. The ECL-2000 computer controller (shown
- Reference Electrodes
- ICCP systems are controlled to assure optimum protection. This control is obtained by inserting a third electrode between the anode and the cathode.
The third electrode is insulated and does not receive any anode current. This electrode is freely corroding and it becomes the starting point — or reference — in eliminating corrosion. Electrodes constructed of Zinc are used exclusively with the ICCP system.
- Junction Box
- Secure and dry connections are important to the reliability of electrical and electronic equipment. The Junction Box is designed to enhance and protect all installations below deck. Using a connector block, the body and screws of which are made from nickel plated brass, ensures long lasting connections. Leaf protection also ensures good sound connections to the cable - no screws to damage the cables. The boxes are supplied with fixing screws.